Friday, June 12, 2009

Loving Fellowship

I have been thinking about the condition of "the church" these days and how much the world really has an influence. We have as many programs as possible, for as many people as possible and yet it seems we lack TRUE fellowship. [fellowship - sharing in common]


I see A LOT of fellowship in the world. We "fellowship" with family members because we have the same family members in common. We fellowship with friends because we have known each other for a long time, or have kids the same age, or share the same interests, or are fans of the same team/sport. Mothers fellowships with other mothers from their kid's school. We fellowship with co-workers at our jobs and even after we clock out.


When living my life apart from Christ I used to spend a lot of time "fellowshipping" at the bar. I always liked going to the bar, not so much for the drinking, but for the "fellowship". It is easy to "fit in" at the bar. Come in, sit down, "how are you?", listen to music, dance, chat, play pool or darts....
I think I had only stepped into a couple of bars that I didn't feel "comfortable" in. Often times I felt more comfortable, accepted, loved, etc. there than with my own family and yes, even sometimes more comfortable than a couple churches I have attended. How sad!


I just feel sick at the thought that I have a great friend, who is an amazing woman and I can't tell her "this or that church is great... go talk to so and so, they are great, you'll love it there". She would have to drive over an hour to get to that kind of church!!!


What exactly are we "fellowshipping" about during the few hours a week we spend together at church...more worldly things than spiritual?
Isn't having Christ in common enough?
What other criterea do we require of others?
What better thing could we share in common?
Where is the LOVE? At the bar? I hope not!

Am I just going through the motions of my Sunday/Tuesday habit?
Am I as loving and encouraging as I should be... as God expects me to be?


Hebrews 10:24-25 says,
"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."

No comments:

Post a Comment